Click on add to cart to add all the sections in shopping cart
Click on the cart to proceed to payment
Click on Checkout to complete the final checkout
Cigarettes in Uruguay, 2018
"Cigarettes in Uruguay, 2018", is an analytical report by GlobalData that provides extensive and highly detailed current and future market trends in the Uruguayan market. The report offers Market size and structure of the overall and per capita consumption based upon a unique combination of industry research, fieldwork, market sizing analysis, and our in-house expertise.
Uruguay has a population of just fewer than 3.4 million and is one of South America's smaller cigarette markets. Duty paid sales in 2016 stood at 2,300 million pieces, which is 23.3% down on 1990. Duty paid sales in 2017 stood at 2,150 million pieces, which is 28.3% down on 1990. Despite this, annual per capita consumption levels are relatively high in regional terms, averaging 689 pieces in 2016 and 644 in 2017. The effects of the recent economic difficulties, annual rises in tax, high non-duty paid sales, competition from RYO cigarettes, and a tightening of restrictions on tobacco consumption have depressed demand for manufactured cigarettes. Per capita consumption reached a peak of 1,174 pieces / year in 1998, declining in most years since.
- Uruguay has a major problem with contraband with the recent policy of hiking taxes only exacerbating this issue. Data released for 2016 placed smuggled volumes at 2.5 billion pieces a year, which is larger than the duty paid market at that time.
- The impact of the increasingly tough stance on smoking along with the impact from a sizeable non-duty paid sector is set to depress sales over the coming decade. GlobalData forecasts that volumes will decline to 1,640 million pieces in 2027, which is 23.7% below 2017. Per capita consumption rates are forecast to decline to 475 pieces / year by 2027, a drop of 25.7%.
Reasons to buy
- Get a detailed understanding of consumption to align your sales and marketing efforts with the latest trends in the market.
- Identify the areas of growth and opportunities, which will aid effective marketing planning.
- The differing growth rates in regional product sales drive fundamental shifts in the market.
- This report provides detailed, authoritative data on these changes-prime intelligence for marketers.
- Understand the market dynamics and essential data to benchmark your position and to identify where to compete in the future.
Table of Contents
1. Overview 5
2. Market Size 7
3. Market Structure 12
4. Manufacturers & Brands 15
5. Taxation & Retail Prices 20
5.1. Taxation 20
5.2. Retail Prices 21
6. The Smoking Population 24
7. Production and Trade 28
7.1. Production 28
7.2. Imports 30
7.4. Exports 33
8. Operating Constraints 37
8.1. Advertising Restrictions 37
8.2. Health Warnings 38
8.3. Other Restrictions 38
9. Company Profiles 40
10. Prospects & Forecasts 41
11. Appendix 43
11.1. What is this Report About? 43
11.2. Time Frame 44
11.3. Product Category Coverage 44
11.4. Methodology 44
11.5. About GlobalData 46
11.6. Disclaimer 47
11.7. Contact Us 48
List of Figures
Figure 1: Methodology 44
Figure 2: GlobalData at a Glance 46
List of Tables
Table 1: Cigarette Consumption, 1990-2017 9
Table 2: Per Capita Consumption, 1990-2017 11
Table 3: Market Breakdown: Filter vs. Plain Cigarettes, 2000-2015, % of Total 12
Table 4: Market Breakdown: Filter vs. Plain Cigarettes, 2000-2015, Million Pieces 12
Table 5: Market Breakdown: Blond vs. Dark Cigarettes, 2000-2015, Million Pieces 12
Table 6: Market Breakdown: Blond vs. Dark Cigarettes, 2000-2015, % of Total 13
Table 7: Manufacturer Sales & Market Shares, 2000-2017, Million pieces 16
Table 8: Manufacturer Sales & Market Shares, 2000-2017, % of Total 17
Table 9: Retail Prices, 2010, 2016 and 2018 22
Table 10: Retail Prices (La Paz), 2015, 2017, 2018 23
Table 11: Smoking Population, 1990-2017 25
Table 12: Regular Smoking by Age Group, 2009 & 2017 (%) 26
Table 13: Smoking Prevalence by Gender & Type of Product, 2009, % Smokers 27
Table 14: Cigarette Production, 1990-2016, million pieces 29
Table 15: Cigarette Imports, 1990-2017 31
Table 16: Imports by Country of Origin, 2007-2017, Million Pieces 32
Table 17: Imports by Country of Origin, 2007-2017, % of Total 32
Table 18: Cigarette Exports 1990-2017 34
Table 19: Exports by Country of Destination, Million Pieces, 2007-2017 35
Table 20: Exports by Country of Destination, Million Pieces, 2007-2017 36
Table 21: Company profile: Compania Industrial de Tabacos Monte Paz SA 40
Table 22: Consumption Forecasts, Million Pieces, 2017-2027 42
Single User License:
Report can be used by individual purchaser only
Report can be shared by unlimited users within one corporate location, e.g. a regional office
Corporate User License:
Report can be shared globally by unlimited users within the purchasing corporation e.g. all employees of a single company
Uruguay, Cigarettes, tobacco, smoking, production, imports, exports, companies, international brands, costs
"Marketing Manager, Western Union Business Solutions"
"Sales Manager, Largest India Aesthetic Laser Manufacturer"
For Regular updates on our latest research reports