Click on add to cart to add all the sections in shopping cart
Click on the cart to proceed to payment
Click on Checkout to complete the final checkout
Cigarettes in Portugal, 2018
"Cigarettes in Portugal, 2018", is an analytical report by GlobalData that provides extensive and highly detailed current and future market trends in the Portuguese market. The report offers Market size and structure of the overall and per capita consumption based upon a unique combination of industry research, fieldwork, market sizing analysis, and our in-house expertise.
Portugal has a population of just over 10.8 million people and has been a member of the European Union since 1986 along with its larger neighbor Spain, with which it shares a long border. The Portuguese cigarette market was growing but rising taxation and increased health concerns, combined with cross-border trade and smuggling and the stronger sales of RYO have been depressing Portugal's cigarette market. The cigarette market has slumped and was down to 11,269 million pieces in 2016 with 11,000 million pieces forecast for 2017 or 30% down on 1990 levels. Per capita consumption is also falling back and averaged 1,041 pieces in 2016 and 1.15 pieces in 2017, with both well down on the peak 2003 levels of 1,797 pieces/year.
- Tabaqueira remains the sole cigarette manufacturer on the Portuguese mainland, although there are two small producers based in Madeira and the Azores, which focus on supplying local demand on these islands. Following the start of Philip Morris' involvement in the local industry at the beginning of 1997, output began to increase as Philip Morris utilized its Portuguese operation for exports. Output reached an estimated 27,340 million pieces in 2016.
- Duty paid sales are expected to suffer further from the twin problems of rising prices and increasing competition from RYO and the non-duty paid sector, which have been seeing growth. Volumes are expected to drop by 21.3% between 2017 and 2027 to 8,660 million pieces. Per capita consumption is forecast to fall by 20.8% over this period to 804 pieces in 2027.
Reasons to buy
- Get a detailed understanding of consumption to align your sales and marketing efforts with the latest trends in the market.
- Identify the areas of growth and opportunities, which will aid effective marketing planning.
- The differing growth rates in regional product sales drive fundamental shifts in the market.
- This report provides detailed, authoritative data on these changes-prime intelligence for marketers.
- Understand the market dynamics and essential data to benchmark your position and to identify where to compete in the future.
Table of Contents
1. Overview 5
2. Market Size 6
3. Market Structure 10
4. Manufacturers & Brands 12
5. Taxation & Retail Prices 20
5.1 Taxation 20
5.2 Retail Prices 24
6. The Smoking Population 26
7. Production and Trade 32
7.1 Production 32
7.2 Imports 34
7.3 Exports 37
8. Operating Constraints 41
8.1 Advertising Restrictions 41
8.2 Health Warnings 41
8.3 Other Restrictions 42
9. Company Profiles 44
10. Prospects & Forecasts 45
11. Appendix 47
11.1 What is this Report About? 47
11.2 Time Frame 47
11.3 Product Category Coverage 47
11.4 Methodology 48
11.5 About GlobalData 49
11.6 Disclaimer 49
11.7 Contact Us 50
List of Figures
Figure 1: Methodology 48
Figure 2: Global Data at a glance 49
List of Tables
Table 1: Cigarette Consumption, 1990-2017 7
Table 2: Per Capita Consumption, 1990-2017 9
Table 3: Cigarette Consumption by Type, Filter v Plain, 2006-2016, Million Pieces 10
Table 4: Cigarette Consumption by Type, Filter v Plain, 2006-2016, Percentage Share (%) Breakdown 10
Table 5: Manufacturer Sales & Market Share, Million Pieces, 2000-2017 14
Table 6: Manufacturer Sales & Market Share, Percentage Share, 2000-2017 15
Table 7: Brand Family Shares, 2000-2015, % Volume 18
Table 8: Portugal: Leading Cigarette Brands, 2015 19
Table 9: Tax Rates on Cigarettes, 1990-2018 22
Table 10: EU Countries, Retail Price & Tax Incidence Comparison, 2018 23
Table 11: Retail Price Trends, 1990-2018 25
Table 12: Smoking Population, 1990-2017 27
Table 13: Smoking Prevalence by Age & Gender, 1999, 2006 & 2014, % Daily Smokers 29
Table 14: Daily Smoking Rates by Age & Gender, 1999, 2006 & 2014, % (20 Cigarettes Daily) 30
Table 15: Smoking Rates by Gender & Number of years of education, 1999 & 2006, % (20 Cigarettes Daily) 31
Table 16: Cigarette Production, 1990-2016 33
Table 17: Cigarette imports, 1990-2017 35
Table 18: Imports of Cigarettes by Country of Origin, 2007-2017, Million Pieces 36
Table 19: Imports of Cigarettes by Country of Origin, 2007-2017, Percentage Share (%) 36
Table 20: Exports of Cigarettes, 1990-2017 38
Table 21: Exports of Cigarettes by Country of Destination, Million Pieces, 2007-2017 39
Table 22: Exports of Cigarettes by Country of Destination, Percentage Share(%), 2007-2017 40
Table 23: Company profile: Tabaqueira Empresa Industrial de Tabacos SA 44
Table 24: Consumption Forecasts to 2027 46
Single User License:
Report can be used by individual purchaser only
Report can be shared by unlimited users within one corporate location, e.g. a regional office
Corporate User License:
Report can be shared globally by unlimited users within the purchasing corporation e.g. all employees of a single company
Philip Morris International
Portugal, Cigarettes, tobacco, smoking, production, imports, exports, companies, international brands, costs
"Marketing Manager, Western Union Business Solutions"
"Sales Manager, Largest India Aesthetic Laser Manufacturer"
For Regular updates on our latest research reports