Click on add to cart to add all the sections in shopping cart
Click on the cart to proceed to payment
Click on Checkout to complete the final checkout
Cigarettes in Mexico, 2018
"Cigarettes in Mexico, 2018", is an analytical report by GlobalData that provides extensive and highly detailed current and future market trends in the Mexican market. The report offers Market size and structure of the overall and per capita consumption based upon a unique combination of industry research, fieldwork, market sizing analysis, and our in-house expertise.
Legitimate cigarette consumption in Mexico has been in decline for many years, suffering from a combination of poor economic performance and rising contraband sales. During the last decade, price and tax hikes have further reduced duty paid sales. Although a sizeable rise in duty paid sales was recorded in 2006, the market declined heavily in 2007, with a further fall to 41,256 million pieces in 2009. While volumes were up to 44,090 billion pieces in 2010, this largely reflected heavy sales in December prior to a tax hike in January 2011, which reduced volumes by a further 29.1%. Sales recovered in 2012 and 2013 to 35,200 million pieces, although another decline of 4.3% followed in 2014 to take the market to 33.7 billion pieces with this again driven by rising prices.
- The period since 2015 has seen a notable recovery in sales in part driven by a strengthening economy, and also by actions to counter contraband and manufacturer actions to offer more affordable brands. Total sales were up 20% to 40,414 million pieces in 2015 and by 29.9% in 2016 to 52,486 million pieces. Latest data records a further rise of 4.5% in 2017 to 54,841 million pieces.
- A period of stable prices since 2015 has helped with a recovery in duty paid sales. As such, GlobalData is optimistic for the future of the market should such future shocks to the market be avoided. Total duty-paid sales are forecast to finish 2027 at 60,300 million pieces, 10% up on 2017. Per capita consumption over the same period will ultimately be unchanged at 440 pieces in 2017.
Reasons to buy
- Get a detailed understanding of consumption to align your sales and marketing efforts with the latest trends in the market.
- Identify the areas of growth and opportunities, which will aid effective marketing planning.
- The differing growth rates in regional product sales drive fundamental shifts in the market.
- This report provides detailed, authoritative data on these changes-prime intelligence for marketers.
- Understand the market dynamics and essential data to benchmark your position and to identify where to compete in the future.
Table of Contents
1. Overview 5
2. Market Size 7
3. Market Structure 14
4. Manufacturers & Brands 18
5. Taxation & Retail 23
5.1. Taxation 23
5.2. Retail Prices 25
6. The Smoking Population 27
7. Production & Trade 31
7.1. Production 31
7.2. Imports 34
7.3. Exports 38
8. Operating constraints 43
8.1. Advertising Restrictions 43
8.2. Health Warnings 44
8.3. Other Restrictions 45
9. Company Profiles 47
10. Prospects & Forecasts 49
11. Appendix 51
11.1. What is this Report About? 51
11.2. Time Frame 51
11.3. Product Category Coverage 51
11.4. Methodology 52
11.5. About GlobalData 54
11.6. Disclaimer 55
11.7. Contact Us 56
List of Figures
Figure 1: Methodology 52
Figure 2: GlobalData at a Glance 54
List of Tables
Table 1: Cigarette Consumption, 1990-2017 9
Table 2: Legitimate & Illegitimate Consumption, 2004-2017 10
Table 3: Per Capita Consumption, 1990-2017 12
Table 4: Cigarette Sales (Current Prices), 2007-2017 13
Table 5: Cigarette Production, Filter v Plain, 2006-2016, Million Pieces 15
Table 6: Cigarette Production, Filter v Plain, 2006-2016, % Breakdown 15
Table 7: Market Breakdown: Full Flavor v Light Cigarettes, 2000-2008, Billion Pieces 15
Table 8: Market Breakdown: Full Flavor v Light Cigarettes, 2000-2008, % Breakdown 15
Table 9: Market Breakdown by Price Category, 2005-2014, % 16
Table 10: Manufacturer Sales & Market Shares, 2000-2017, Million Pieces 19
Table 11: Manufacturer Sales & Market Shares, Volume, %, 2000-2017 20
Table 12: Market Shares of Leading Brands, 2006-2016, % 22
Table 13: Average Pack Price & Daily Expenditure, 2008-2011 26
Table 14: Cigarette prices (selected brands), 2013 & 2015 26
Table 15: Smoking Population, 1990-2017 28
Table 16: Cigarettes Smoked Per Day by Gender, %, 2002 29
Table 17: Prevalence of Smoking by Age (12-15) and Gender, %, 2003-2005 30
Table 18: Cigarette Production, 1990-2017 32
Table 19: Imports of Cigarettes, 1990-2017 35
Table 20: Imports Cigarettes by Country of Origin, 2007-2017, Million Pieces 36
Table 21: Imports Cigarettes by Country of Origin, 2007-2017, % 37
Table 23: Exports of Cigarettes, 1990-2017 39
Table 24: Exports of Cigarettes by Country of Destination, 2007-2017, Million Pieces 41
Table 25: Exports of Cigarettes by Country of Destination, 2007-2017, % 42
Table 26: Company Profile: Philip Morris Mexico 47
Table 27: Company Profile: British American Tobacco Mexico 48
Table 28: Consumption Forecasts to 2027 50
Single User License:
Report can be used by individual purchaser only
Report can be shared by unlimited users within one corporate location, e.g. a regional office
Corporate User License:
Report can be shared globally by unlimited users within the purchasing corporation e.g. all employees of a single company
Mexico, Cigarettes, tobacco, smoking, production, imports, exports, companies, international brands, costs
"Marketing Manager, Western Union Business Solutions"
"Sales Manager, Largest India Aesthetic Laser Manufacturer"
For Regular updates on our latest research reports