Click on add to cart to add all the sections in shopping cart
Click on the cart to proceed to payment
Click on Checkout to complete the final checkout
Cigarettes in Kenya, 2018
"Cigarettes in Kenya, 2018", is an analytical report by GlobalData that provides extensive and highly detailed current and future market trends in the Kenyan market. The report offers Market size and structure of the overall and per capita consumption based upon a unique combination of industry research, fieldwork, market sizing analysis, and our in-house expertise.
The Kenyan cigarette market has seen a mixed performance since the beginning of the decade due to a combination of a flourishing non-duty paid sector, a lackluster performance of the country's economy, a series of tax/price hikes, political uncertainty, and controls on tobacco use in public. Sales have fallen back since 2014 and were 9,250 million pieces in 2016, with 8,575 million pieces forecast for 2017. Nevertheless, they were still 38.6% above 1990 levels in 2017. Per capita consumption is down by 32% between 1990 and 2017 at 180 pieces a year.
- The market is largely supplied by British American Tobacco Kenya, which dominates, and the privately owned Mastermind Tobacco.
- Filter cigarettes, king size formats, and Virginia blends dominate.
- The market is dominated by mid-priced brands, with Sportsman from BAT Kenya holding over half of the market volume.
- Low disposable income for the majority means that cigarettes are a luxury item. This has made smoking prevalence low and largely confined to men.
Reasons to buy
- Get a detailed understanding of consumption to align your sales and marketing efforts with the latest trends in the market.
- Identify the areas of growth and opportunities, which will aid effective marketing planning.
- The differing growth rates in regional product sales drive fundamental shifts in the market.
- This report provides detailed, authoritative data on these changes-prime intelligence for marketers.
- Understand the market dynamics and essential data to benchmark your position and to identify where to compete in the future.
Table of Contents
1. Overview 5
2. Market Size 6
3. Market Structure 10
4. Manufacturers & Brands 12
5. Taxation & Retail Prices 16
5.1. Taxation 16
5.2. Retail Prices 19
6. The Smoking Population 21
7. Production & Trade 29
7.1. Production 29
7.2. Imports 32
7.3. Exports 35
8. Operating constraints 38
8.1. Advertising Restrictions 39
8.2. Health Warnings 40
8.3. Other Restrictions 41
9. Company Profiles 42
10. Prospects & Forecasts 43
11. Appendix 45
11.1. What is this Report About? 45
11.2. Time Frame 46
11.3. Product Category Coverage 47
11.4. Methodology 48
11.5. About GlobalData 50
11.6. Disclaimer 51
11.7. Contact Us 52
List of Figures
Figure 1: Methodology 48
Figure 2: Global Data at a glance 50
List of Tables
Table 1: Cigarette Consumption, 1990-2017 7
Table 2: Per Capita Consumption, 1990-2017 9
Table 3: Market Breakdown by Blend, 2000-2005 & 2010, Percentage Share (%) 10
Table 4: Manufacturer Sales & Shares, 2000-2017, Million Pieces 13
Table 5: Manufacturer Sales & Shares, 2000-2017, Percentage Share (%) 14
Table 6: Sportsman: Market Share, 2008-2012 15
Table 7: Old Excise Duties, 2007-2010 16
Table 8: BAT Kenya: Retail Prices, 2010-2014 19
Table 9: Smoking Population, 1990-2017 22
Table 10: Cigarette Smoking Prevalence, Overall & Tobacco Use by Gender, (GATS 2014), Percentage Share (%) 23
Table 11: Current Tobacco use by Age and Gender, (GATS 2014), Percentage Share (%) 23
Table 12: Male Smoking Prevalence by Age, Region, Education & Income, 2003 & 2009, Percentage Share (%) 24
Table 13: Male Smoking Prevalence by Age, Region, Education & Income, 2003 & 2009, Percentage Share (%), Continued 25
Table 14: Men: Average Daily Cigarette Smoking by Age, Region, Education & Wealth, 2009 26
Table 15: Men: Average Daily Cigarette Smoking by Age, Region, Education & Wealth, 2009, Continued 27
Table 16: Cigarette Production, 1990-2016 30
Table 17: Cigarette Imports, 1990-2017 33
Table 18: Imports by Country of Origin, Million Pieces, 2007-2017 34
Table 19: Cigarette Exports, 1990-2017 36
Table 20: Exports by Country of Destination, Million Pieces, 2010 and 2013-2017 37
Table 21: Company profile: British American Tobacco Kenya Lt 42
Table 22: Company profile: Mastermind Tobacco Kenya Ltd 42
Table 23: Consumption Forecasts to 2027 44
Single User License:
Report can be used by individual purchaser only
Report can be shared by unlimited users within one corporate location, e.g. a regional office
Corporate User License:
Report can be shared globally by unlimited users within the purchasing corporation e.g. all employees of a single company
Tanzanian Cigarette Company
Kenya, tobacco, cigarettes, smoking, production, imports, exports, companies, international brands, costs
"Marketing Manager, Western Union Business Solutions"
"Sales Manager, Largest India Aesthetic Laser Manufacturer"
For Regular updates on our latest research reports