Click on add to cart to add all the sections in shopping cart
Click on the cart to proceed to payment
Click on Checkout to complete the final checkout
Cigarettes in Costa Rica, 2018
"Cigarettes in Costa Rica, 2018", is an analytical report by GlobalData that provides extensive and highly detailed current and future market trends in the Costa Rican market. The report offers Market size and structure of the overall and per capita consumption based upon a unique combination of industry research, fieldwork, market sizing analysis, and our in-house expertise.
Costa Rica is a relatively small market for cigarettes with legitimate sales of 1.5 billion pieces in 2017, which is 27.1% down its levels in 1990. In per capita terms, consumption is moderate to low at 310 pieces per person in 2017, while per capita sales have fallen by 55.4% since 1990. There is a growing non-duty paid market, which amounts to a further 445 million pieces, bringing total annual sales to approximately two billion pieces.
- Following the closure of BAT's manufacturing facility in Costa Rica in 2000, the company transferred production to its subsidiary in Honduras.
- Taxation has been a key tool for the authorities to reduce tobacco consumption. There is now reported to be a sizeable, but largely unquantified, sector comprising non-duty paid cigarettes, with this seeming to be taking a growing percentage of sales from the legitimate sector.
Reasons to buy
- Get a detailed understanding of consumption to align your sales and marketing efforts with the latest trends in the market.
- Identify the areas of growth and opportunities, which will aid effective marketing planning.
- The differing growth rates in regional product sales drive fundamental shifts in the market.
- This report provides detailed, authoritative data on these changes-prime intelligence for marketers.
- Understand the market dynamics and essential data to benchmark your position and to identify where to compete in the future.
Table of Contents
1. Overview 5
2. Market Size 7
3. Market Structure 12
4. Manufacturers & Brands 14
5. Taxation & Retail Prices 18
5.1. Taxation 18
5.2. Retail Prices 19
6. The Smoking Population 20
7. Production & Trade 24
7.1. Production 24
7.2. Imports 27
7.3. Exports 31
8. Operating constraints 33
8.1. Advertising Restrictions 33
8.2. Health Warnings 34
8.3. Other Restrictions 35
9. Company Profiles 36
10. Prospects & Forecasts 38
11. Appendix 40
11.1. What is this Report About? 40
11.2. Time Frame 40
11.3. Product Category Coverage 40
11.4. Methodology 41
11.5. About GlobalData 43
11.6. Disclaimer 44
11.7. Contact Us 45
List of Figures
Figure 1: Methodology 41
Figure 2: GlobalData at a Glance 43
List of Tables
Table 1: Cigarette Consumption, Million Pieces, 1990-2017 8
Table 2: Duty Paid vs. Non-Duty Paid Sales, 2011-2017, Million Pieces 9
Table 3: Per Capita Consumption, 1990-2017 11
Table 4: Market Segmentation by Blend, 2000-2012, Million Pieces 12
Table 5: Market Segmentation by Blend, 2000-2012, % (Percentage Share) 12
Table 6: Manufacturer Sales & Market Shares, 2000-2017, Million Pieces 15
Table 7: Manufacturer Market Shares, 2000-2017, % Percentage of share 16
Table 8: Summary of Cigarette Taxes, 2018 18
Table 9: Index of Cigarette Prices, July 2006-September 2014 19
Table 10: Smoking Population, 1990-2017 21
Table 11: Cigarette Production, 1990-2016 25
Table 12: Cigarette Production, 1990-2016 28
Table 13: Imports by Country of Origin, 2007-2017, Million Pieces 29
Table 14: Imports by Country of Origin, Volume, 2007-2017, % Breakdown 30
Table 15: Cigarette Exports, 2000-2017 31
Table 16: Cigarette Exports by Country of Destination, 2011-2017, Million Pieces 32
Table 17: Cigarette Exports by Country of Destination, 2011-2017, % of Percentage Share 32
Table 18: Company Profile: Tabacalera Costarricense SA 36
Table 19: Company Profile: British American Tobacco Central America 37
Table 20: Consumption Forecasts, 2017-2027 39
Single User License:
Report can be used by individual purchaser only
Report can be shared by unlimited users within one corporate location, e.g. a regional office
Corporate User License:
Report can be shared globally by unlimited users within the purchasing corporation e.g. all employees of a single company
British America Tobacco Central America
Republic Tobacco Co
Costa Rica, tobacco, cigarettes, smoking, production, imports, exports, companies, international brands, costs
"Marketing Manager, Western Union Business Solutions"
"Sales Manager, Largest India Aesthetic Laser Manufacturer"
For Regular updates on our latest research reports