Click on add to cart to add all the sections in shopping cart
Click on the cart to proceed to payment
Click on Checkout to complete the final checkout
Cigarettes in Algeria, 2018
"Cigarettes in Algeria, 2018", is an analytical report by GlobalData that provides extensive and highly detailed current and future market trends in the Algerian market. The report offers Market size and structure of the overall and per capita consumption based upon a unique combination of industry research, fieldwork, market sizing analysis, and our in-house expertise.
Algeria, a country of over 40 million people, is a substantial market for cigarettes. In the 1990s, sales suffered as a result of the political and economic turmoil. Only a return to political stability has allowed the market an opportunity to recover. Legitimate sales rose by 6.1% in 2005, after the market was opened to imports, and by 2010, despite falling by 6.6% that year, stood at 24.7 billion pieces. Most recent research places sales down as a result of rising prices. Volumes stood at 22 billion pieces in 2017, which is still 29.5% ahead of those in 1990. Per capita consumption stood at 537 pieces in 2017 or 79.7% of those in 1990.
- SNTA has long been the Algerian state monopoly and leading producer of cigarettes. The government has signaled its desire to involve private investors in this sector, creating a new company, Madar Group, in 2017 to hold SNTA's assets prior to their future sale.
- The initial outlook for sales is poor, with relatively high contraband sales and the effect of excise tax increases expected to depress duty paid volumes. Sales are set to record some recovery thereafter but remain badly affected by the presence of illegal cigarettes, as well as increased smoking restrictions. Volumes are forecast at 23.8 billion pieces in 2027, 8% up on 2017. Per capita sales are forecast at 507 pieces in 2027, 5.6% down on 2017.
Reasons to buy
- Get a detailed understanding of consumption to align your sales and marketing efforts with the latest trends in the market.
- Identify the areas of growth and opportunities, which will aid effective marketing planning.
- The differing growth rates in regional product sales drive fundamental shifts in the market.
- This report provides detailed, authoritative data on these changes-prime intelligence for marketers.
- Understand the market dynamics and essential data to benchmark your position and to identify where to compete in the future.
Table of Contents
1. Overview 5
2. Market Size 6
3. Market Structure 12
4. Manufacturers & Brands 14
5. Taxation & Retail Prices 20
5.1. Taxation 20
5.2. Retail Prices 21
6. The Smoking Population 24
7. Production & Trade 26
7.1. Production 26
7.2. Imports 30
7.3. Exports 33
8. Operating Constraints 36
8.1. Advertising Restrictions 36
8.2. Health Warnings 36
8.3. Other Restrictions 36
9. Company Profiles 37
10. Prospects & Forecasts 38
11. Appendix 40
11.1. What is this Report About? 40
11.2. Time Frame 40
11.3. Product Category Coverage 40
11.4. Methodology 41
11.5. About GlobalData 43
11.6. Disclaimer 44
11.7. Contact Us 45
List of Figures
Figure 1: Methodology 41
Figure 2: GlobalData at a Glance 43
List of Tables
Table 1: Cigarette Consumption, 1990-2017 8
Table 2: Per Capita Consumption, 1990-2017 10
Table 3: Contraband Sales, 2009-2013 11
Table 4: Cigarette Consumption by Type: Plain vs. Filter, 2006-2016, Million Pieces 12
Table 5: Cigarette Consumption by Type: Plain vs. Filter, 2006-2016, % Breakdown 12
Table 6: Manufacturer Sales & Market Share, 2000-2017, Million Pieces 16
Table 7: Manufacturer Sales & Market Share, 2000-2017, % of Total 17
Table 8: SNTA: Domestic Brands, 2014 18
Table 9: PMI Brand Shares, 2007-2013, % of Total 18
Table 10: Retail Prices of Selected Brands, December 2011 & January 2012, DA per Pack 20 21
Table 11: Cigarette & Tobacco Prices, 2001-2011 22
Table 12: Algeria, Selected Cigarette Prices, 2016 & 2017, DA/pack 22
Table 13: Smoking population,1990-2017 24
Table 14: An analysis of Global Youth Tobacco Survey (GYTS) results 25
Table 15: Cigarette Production, 1990-2016 27
Table 16: Cigarette Imports, 1990-2017 31
Table 17: Imports of Cigarettes by Country of Origin, Volume, 2007-2017, Million Pieces 32
Table 18: Imports of Cigarettes by Country of Origin, Volume, 2007-2017, % of Total 32
Table 19: Cigarette Exports, 1991-2017 33
Table 20: Cigarette Exports by Country of Destination, 2010-2017, 000' Pieces 34
Table 21: Cigarette Exports by Country of Destination, 2010-2017, % of Total 35
Table 22: Company profile: Societe Nationale des Tabacs et Allumettes SpA (SNTA) 37
Table 23: Consumption Forecasts to 2027 39
Single User License:
Report can be used by individual purchaser only
Report can be shared by unlimited users within one corporate location, e.g. a regional office
Corporate User License:
Report can be shared globally by unlimited users within the purchasing corporation e.g. all employees of a single company
Philip Morris International
Algeria, Cigarettes, tobacco, smoking, production, imports, exports, companies, international brands, costs
"Marketing Manager, Western Union Business Solutions"
"Sales Manager, Largest India Aesthetic Laser Manufacturer"
For Regular updates on our latest research reports